This week was my son’s first birthday party. You can’t have a birthday party without ‘sausage’ rolls, but the range of vegetarian sausages on offer in supermarkets is pretty uninspiring, and they are all very dry.
Q. What’s vegetarian, sausagey, but moist, mould-able, and very tasty?
A. Stuffing mix!
I used Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference stuffing mixes – both Pink Lady, Apple & Herb and Wild Sage, Roasted Onion and Shallot Stuffing Mix with Lemon (this one is vegan). They also do onion, leek & chive, and cranberry, orange & roasted chestnut which would be lovely at Christmas. See here I’m sure other supermarkets do something similar, I just happened to be in Sainsbury’s when I had the idea!
Simple but Sensational Vegetarian Sausage Rolls
Ingredients: 1 packet stuffing mix, 1 sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry (plus milk or beaten egg to glaze, unless you are making these vegan)
- Make up stuffing mix according to packet instructions.
- Unroll your sheet of pastry and slice in half lengthways to create two long thin rectangles. Brush both long edges of each rectangle with water.
- Roughly shape half the stuffing mix into a long sausage shape and place in the middle of one of the long rectangles. Roll the pastry around the sausage and seal firmly by pinching between your fingers. Repeat with the rest of the stuffing and pastry.
- Wrap each long sausage roll in cling film and chill for 30 minutes or more. Preheat your oven to 200ºC
- When ready to cook, remove the cling film and place the roll with the join in the pastry downwards on a chopping board. Brush all over with a little milk or beaten egg. Cut off the ends then slice into individual sausage rolls – mine were about 2 inches long.
- Place on a lightly oiled baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Want to try something even better? How about crumbling some stilton through the centre of the stuffing mix before rolling up? Or spooning in some chutney? Or to make them extra moist, stir some grated apple, carrot or grated cheese through the stuffing mix. Yum!